Twitter Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon
Slider Accent

County Service Areas

Public Works
Sam Bunton, Director
915 8th Street, Suite 125, Marysville, CA 95901
Phone: (530)749-5420      Fax: (530)749-5424
email: [email protected]
County Service Areas
Yuba County has been utilizing County Service  Areas for over 20 years to provide services to County  residents and there are over 60 CSA's in the County.  The  basic premise of a CSA is to fund a service that the County  would not otherwise be able to fund through traditional  sources (property tax, sales tax, fuel tax, etc.) by  creating a direct assessment that a property owner pays for  a particular service. The most common type of service and  associated assessment is for road and drainage maintenance  in new subdivisions, but there are others ranging from  lighting to fire protection. 
As the name implies a CSA is  administered by County Staff (traditionally Public Works)  under the direction of the County Board of Supervisors.

A CSA may be established to provide any one or more of the  following types of extended services within an  unincorporated area:

Extended police protection, structural fire protection,  local park, recreation, or parkway facilities and services,  extended library facilities and services, television  translator station facilities and services, low-power  television services; and any other governmental services,  referred as miscellaneous extended services, which the  County is authorized by law to perform, and which the County  does not also perform to the same extent on a County-wide  basis both within and outside city boundaries.

Frequently Asked Questions
Who do I contact to repair streetlights?

Locate pole  number on pole (located 7 feet from bottom of pole). If the  light is in the Cobblestone/Plumas Lake area and the pole number  starts with YC call Public Works at (530) 749-5420 with pole number and location.  Any other pole location and/or number you can contact PG&E Maintenance Division at (800)743-5000 or fill out a Street Light Trouble Report on line at:   Link  

Why are there streetlights only on some corners in my neighborhood in Plumas Lake?
When the  Plumas Lake Specific Plan was being planned, property owners  near in the proposed development area were concerned about  losing their rural setting and did not want an abundance of  street lights illuminating the area. So when the Plan was  adopted by the County, street lights were required to be placed  only at intersections and at decision locations. When the first  subdivisions were being constructed in the Plumas Lake area the  developer interpreted the Specific Plan to read that street  lights were to be placed only at intersections. After the first  few maps and plans were approved, our department interpreted the  meaning of decision locations to include the backs of  cul-de-sacs and at knuckles. Unfortunately the builders were not  willing to install additional street lights in the areas that  had been completed.

There are areas that have more street lights because the builder  chose to install street lighting beyond what is required and the  home owners in this area will be paying a higher yearly  assessment for the enhanced street lighting.

The only way for the County to require more lighting is to amend the Plumas Lake Specific Plan and set criteria for street lights.  At this time there are no plans to amend the Plumas Lake Specific Plan. But we do encourage developers to install additional street lights beyond what is required by the Specific Plan.

You and/or your neighbors can contact PG&E and have them install a street light.  You would be responsible for the installation costs and possibly the monthly electrical costs. There has been no decision made on whether the electrical costs for a street light installed by property owners could be funded through the County Service Area.

Is a CSA required to have a Committee?
No. A CSA is not required to have a committee but Public Works does  encourage some type of committee or advisory panel in each CSA to keep the County informed of issues.

Can a CSA construct a gate to stop traffic from using the CSA roads?
No. The roads in a CSA are classified as public roads that can be used  by anyone.  Although the roads are not part of the County road system and are maintained through CSA funds.

Can a CSA be dissolved if requested by the residents?
Yes.  A CSA can be dissolved if 100% of the residents request the action.  The process then goes through the Local Agency Formation Commission or LAFCO.

Are the assessments the same in each CSA?
No.  Each area is assessed based on the services provided.  For example, a CSA in the valley may require streetlights and a CSA in the foothills will not require streetlights. The cost associated with the streetlights would not be charged in the foothills.