Twitter Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon
Slider Accent

Juvenile Probation Process

Juvenile Probation Process

My Child Has Been Arrested, What Happens Now?

One of two things will happen immediately after a child’s arrest:

  1. The child will be released immediately after arrest or citation.  This is called non-detention/cite and release.  In this case, the citation will have a date and time to appear at the probation department or the child will be contacted by the probation officer for further instructions.
  2. If a child is transported to the Tri-County Regional Juvenile Rehabilitation Facility, they will go through an intake process and be booked into the facility.  A review of the offense, police report, and assessment score using the Detention Risk Assessment Instrument (DRAI) will determine whether the youth will remain in custody pending further review.
Following detention, the probation officer may decide to release the child on home supervision, where the child and parent/legal guardian will sign a Promise to Appear.  On the Promise to Appear, the child will be required to abide by specific probation terms and a date and time will be provided for the child and parent/legal guardian to appear before the probation officer. 

What to Bring

Please bring a photo identification and your child’s social security card and birth certificate to the initial meeting with the probation officer.  It is also helpful if you bring the names and birth dates of everyone living in your home, whether they are related or not.

What We Ask

You are going to be asked to share information regarding your child including their performance in school, your home and the community.  You will be asked about your child’s strengths and any areas of concern you may have.  The more truthful and helpful you are, the better we will be able to assess the situation and provide the appropriate intervention and support. 

Juvenile Court Process

       chart               Court 2022 - Copy (2) 

What to Expect While Being Supervised

When a juvenile is placed on probation by a juvenile court judge, the youth will be supervised in the community by a probation officer who will make regular contact with the youth at their home, school or work.  Youth may also be required to perform community service, pay restitution, and participate in rehabilitation programs, in addition to maintain a law abiding lifestyle.

Paying Restitution

Juvenile probationers may be ordered to pay fines and/or restitution to the victim as a condition of probation.  Youth and their parents are accountable for payment of restitution for the crimes committed. 

Restitution payments ordered by the Court are paid through the Yuba County Court Collections Division.  They are located at 215 5th Street, Marysville, California or may be reached by phone at (530) 740-1800.

How Do I Contact My Child’s Probation Officer?

To contact your child’s Probation Officer or to receive further information about Juvenile Probation, please contact the Yuba County Probation Department at (530) 749-7550. 

Some probation officers are located at school sites.  If your child attends Lindhurst High School, Marysville High School, Wheatland Union High School or Thomas E. Mathews Community School, you may contact the appropriate probation officer at those locations.