Twitter Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon Facebook Icon
Slider Accent

Burn Permits Required

It's that time again when burn permits become a requirement for all residential burning.


This year the rule goes into effective beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, April 18. The requirement is established by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit (NEU), which includes Yuba County along with Nevada and  Placer counties.

Residents wishing to burn MUST verify it is a day when burning is allowed prior to burning. Anyone wishing to conduct a burn should check with the Feather River Air Quality Management District (FRAQMD) before proceeding. FRAQMD can be reached by calling (530) 741-6299 or online at

All burn permits are issued annually and may be obtained online at or from your local CAL FIRE Station. Permits are issued free of charge.

Please review these important requirements before seeking a permit:
  • Only dry, vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
  • The burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.
  • Do NOT burn on windy days.
  • Piles should be no larger than four feet in diameter and in height. You can add to pile as it burns down.
  • Clear 10-foot down to bare soil around your piles.
  • Have a shovel and a water source nearby.
  • An adult is required to be always in attendance of the fire.
  • Safe residential pile burning of forest residue by landowners is a crucial tool in reducing fire hazards. State, Federal, and Local land management and fire agencies will also be utilizing this same window of opportunity to conduct prescribed burns aimed at improving forest health and resiliency on private and public lands.