The 14th Annual Yuba-Sutter-Colusa Turkey Drive
You can be part of the Yuba-Sutter-Colusa United Way effort to put more than 1,600 turkey and ham dinners with all the fixings on the dinner tables of better than 5,000 local residents in need this holiday season.
The organizers are seeking cash donations to purchase the food items ($20 for each turkey or ham) for these special meals, with 100% of each donation going toward the effort. There are many options for donating:
- Go online to www.yscunitedway.org and click on the "Events" tab
- Text TURKEYDRIVE to 41444
- Call (530) 743-1847, M-F, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm to pay by credit/debit card over the phone
- Mail check to YSCUW, P.O. Box 122, Marysville, CA 95901
- Bringing a turkey, ham, or cash donation to one of these ten drop-off locations:
- Nov. 12 – 3-6 p.m. at Grange Co-op, 1262 Stabler Lane in Yuba City
- Nov. 13 – 3-6 p.m. at Dow Lewis Motors, 2913 Colusa Hwy in Yuba City
- Nov. 14 – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Hoblit Chevrolet, 315 Market Street in Colusa
- Nov. 16 – 3-6 p.m. at New Earth Market, 1475 Tharp Road in Yuba City
- Nov. 17 – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.at Yuba College (near theater), 2088 N. Beale Road in Linda
- Nov. 18 – 3-6 p.m. at Dunkin’, 1040 Colusa Highway in Yuba City
- Nov. 19 – 3-6 p.m. at Brown’s Gas Company, 124 6th Street in Marysville
- Nov. 20 – at Rush Personnel Services, 650 N. Walton in Yuba City
- Nov. 21 – at Golden Valley Auto Body, 727 Sutter Street in Yuba City
The Yuba-Sutter Food Bank
The Food Bank has been an important partner with both Yuba and Sutter counties during the COVID-19 response. The organization took on the task of providing weekly food boxes to our most vulnerable residents, to reduce their need to venture out as cases increased. More than 22,000 such food boxes were distributed.
This season, the Food Bank has committed to a couple of holiday projects that would benefit from community participation. 1) They are working with the Yuba-Sutter-Colusa Turkey Drive to make sure there is more on each plate than just turkey or ham when meals are delivered. 2) They are also working with the South Yuba County Action Network (SO YOU CAN) to bring some Christmas cheer to 300 families by providing a week's worth of groceries and Christmas presents to over 600 children.
Here is where you have the opportunity to help:
Virtual Food Drive – Donations can be made at feedingys.fenly.org/drives or dropped off at the Foodbank at 760 Stafford Way, Yuba City. Food items needed include peanut butter, jelly, Top-Ramen, olives, ravioli in a can, Rice a Roni, soups in pop off cans, chili in a can, stuffing mix, and pork & beans.
Volunteer – The Foodbank is always looking for individuals and groups to volunteer to help with monthly food distributions, packing food bags, and delivering food for the Homebound program. Sign up to volunteer at feedingys.org/volunteer.
The Salvation Army Yuba-Sutter Corps Virtual Red Kettle
For the first time in its 130-year history, The Salvation Army is taking its iconic red kettles virtual. And this change is coming at a time when more people than ever are struggling. The theme this year is “Rescue Christmas.” The Salvation Army is looking to the community to help them provide seasonal assistance – food, toys and other gifts – for families and seniors.
They currently have two main projects:
Online Red Kettles
You can access this Salvation Army Yuba-Sutter Corps program through their website: yubasutter.salvationarmy.org
“Drop 20 for Good” – November 18
A little play on words here. As we look to put 2020 behind us, there are still people struggling now. The Salvation Army is holding one special event on Wednesday, November 18, noon to 1 p.m., to give residents an opportunity to drop a 20 dollar bill in an actual red kettle. Our local law enforcement agencies will be at the old Kmart parking lot in Yuba City (850 Gray Avenue) for a “Hero Race” event. Drive through this socially distanced fundraiser.
And if you’re hungry, you can order a tri-tip sandwich that can be picked up at the same location and time. Just $20 will get you a full tri-tip lunch, and $40 will get you an entire cooked tri-tip. Preorder at: http://bit.ly/3mpgOyV An alternate pick up location for these items will be at the Habitat for Humanity parking lot at 202 D Street in Marysville.